OK. A few of you have asked (here and via email) about where this new (possible) job is, what are the hours, etc. I started answering all of you, but got really sick of typing the same thing over and over again, so I decided to just post about it here. If you have no interest in my (possible) job details, just stop reading now.
* I'd be doing the same type of work as before... writing end-user documentation (i.e., user guides, training manuals, online help systems, etc.) for the computer software the company develops.
* It's about 45 miles from my house one way (my last job was 70).
* It took me about an hour to get there, but having been there once now, I think there are quicker ways to get there (I had used MapQuest), so I could forseeably cut it down to 45 minutes.
* Although, the travel time was the same as my last job, it didn't seem nearly as long. This new commute would be on several roads, past farms, strip malls, neighborhoods, hospitals, etc. The old commute was a painfully boring hour on one highway with only 3 places to exit between my house to my office, so if there was an accident, vehicle fire, etc. I was screwed.
* The hours are flexible. Get your 40 hours in and they're happy. I can choose to work four 10-hour days, four 9-hour days and one 1/2 day, etc. Whatever I want (for the most part). They also allow telecommuting (within reason) as long as you get your work done.
* I could wear jeans to work every day. (There is a god.)
* Their benefits kick ass.
* They have a computer purchase assistance program which would allow me to finally get rid of this slow-as-shit, piece of crap, 10-year old computer that I currently own.
* They have a Christmas party where they give away free shit like DVD players.
* All employees are given a free gym membership for a gym down the street. Uh, yeah. I'll get right on that. (Not.)
* There's a guy there (that I interviewed with) who has my exact sense of humor, sarcasm, etc. Except (and I can't believe I'm admitting this), he's much better at it. Seriously. He had me rattled and that's virtually impossible to do. I really must work there so as to learn from this master. Teach me, oh wise one. I am your pupil. Lead me.
* They have coffee.