Thursday, February 16, 2006

Addictions Suck.

I have several of them in my life. Some of them are real, honest to god addictions, like my smoking habit. Others, like my inability to stop inhaling a half a can of Pringles every night aren't "addictions" per se, but without them, my day just doesn't feel complete. Some are still up in the air, because I swear I'm physically addicted to Altoids, but I'm sure others would beg to differ, saying it's impossible to become truly "addicted" to a curiously strong mint.

But anyway, on to my point. It seems I've acquired a new addiction. One that could honestly change my life forever. You see folks, it seems I've become addicted to online job searches. That's right folks, you read that right. Job searches. I'm addicted. [sigh]

I log on in the morning and begin the ride. I've recently found a site I totally love because it pulls in all of the listings from all of the other job sites, like Monster.com, CareerBuilder.com, etc. All in one place. It makes me giddy and I spend the entire day checking and re-checking that site for technical writing positions, hoping to find a new listing when I log on. Not because I'm that desperate for a job (although I suppose I am...), but because it just makes me tingle with excitement when I feel like I'm the first person in the entire tri-state area to see that listing. And if I move quickly enough, I can be the very first resume they receive. Ahhhh.... Complete euphoria...

I'm embarrassed to admit that I hope I don't find a job anytime soon. Not necessarily because it means less time spent with my kids (although that's an issue too). But because it means I will no longer have any reason to visit the job listing websites. And then what the hell will I do? What will fill that empty spot in my life? It hurts just thinking about it.

So as I leave for my interview at 1:00pm EST today (first one in 10 years I might add...), wish me luck. However, I'm not sure if you should wish me luck that I land the job, or wish me luck that I don't. Because the truth is, even I'm not sure which would be better...

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

The first interview is really just for practice anyway.

I hope that someday soon you hit refresh and your perfect job suddenly fills the screen. One that pays you what your worth and lets you work from home. :-)

Good luck today!!

Mrs. G.F. said...

Good luck!!

I hope it works out, only if it's the right job for you.

Lisa said...

Good luck today!! And what is the mother of all job search sites?? You left that important detail out. LOL!!

Allison said...

LOL Beth. Actually, they all end up paying me way more than I'm worth, considering the amount of work I normally put in, but I guess that's a good thing, huh? LOL! We'll see how it goes, I guess...

And Lisa, sorry! LOL! I linked the site now. It's www.simplyhired.com. LOVE that site!

Thanks SM!

EE said...

Well GL...both w/ your job interview and your addiction. LOL

mamatulip said...

Job search sites is NOT what I was expecting your addiction to be.

Good luck today!

Anonymous said...

If you'd like to be the first one to find that technical writing job, this might help ... send a hello message on GoogleTalk to indeedjobs@gmail.com

HB said...

Good luck, Alien! May it work out the way you want it to.

Anonymous said...

This is very interesting site...
» » »