Friday, December 02, 2005

Highlights of the Day (Friday 12.02.2005)

1. Had Grace wake me up at 5:30, raring to go.

2. Threatened her with bodily harm if she didn't lie back down and not wake me again until she could at least see some light outside her window.

3. Cursed Janet and Eric for keeping me up so freakin' late last night, talking about stupid hunting. ;)

4. Finally came downstairs (when it wasn't dark... barely) and saw that it was snowing. Um, yeah. Yippee?

5. Breathed a sigh of relief when I saw that none of it was "sticking" to the ground. The last thing I wanted to do today was go outside and play in any snow.

6. Got a bizarre phone call from Boscov's department store, asking for Steve's step-sister, whom, after her father (Steve's stepdad) died a few years ago, we lost touch with and haven't seen in about 2 years. They said they had an "unresolved business matter" to discuss with her.

7. Couldn't help them and asked her why she called here. She said we were "listed as possible relatives." Um... listed where exactly, ma'am? What the hell?

8. Had to laugh when 5 minutes later, she called Steve's business line and left the exact same message on his phone.

9. Invented this really cool story in my head about it where the stepsister has stolen thousands of dollars from Boscov's and is on the run from the law.

10. Admittedly got a little bit of satisfaction over the fact that at least I'm not the only one who gets called by people I owe money to.

11. Was bummed when I decided to order 2 or 3 more frames from Red Envelope for gifts and discovered they've finally sold out. Damn June 2003 Mommies... [grumble grumble....]

12. Refrained from laughing when my mom walked into my house wearing a HUGE bandage taped on her upper lip from out-patient surgery she had this morning to remove some abnormal cells from her upper lip.

13. DID laugh when Hannah refused to kiss her.

14. Realized there was no way in hell she was going to step foot outside her house this entire weekend, which is how long she's supposed to keep the bandage on.

15. Sent Grace off with my sister for a few hours. Quality Aunt Time is good for her, I tell myself. (And um, me.)

16. Just knew that the second I put Hannah down for her nap, my sister would be pulling in the driveway to drop Grace off.

17. I, like usual, was right.

18. Was relieved to have a MUCH better day with the girls today than yesterday. Maybe my little tantrum worked? [sigh]

19. Took Grace to gymnastics in the bitter, nipple chapping cold. (But I didn't want to.)

20. Laughed when Grace came running out to the parents' area about FIVE times during class to tell me she did something right, or got two star stickers, or flipped over by herself...

21. Remembered (like I do every year around this time), why I HATE hunting season. I don't even care that we barely see Steve because I know it's only for three weeks. What annoys me beyond belief is that the second he walks in the door, he's on the phone for hours. Hunting-related calls... business-related calls... taxidermy-related calls... gossip calls... etc. So while he's talking, the girls are getting more and more wound up in anticipation of him hanging up and playing with them, and I can't hear my damn TV show because he talks to loud. Grrrrr....

22. Only one more week... Only one more week... Only one more week...

23. Wrestled mentally with my excitement over getting the Christmas tree this weekend and the dread of having to clear out the area where the tree is going to go (currently where our dining room table resides), freezing our asses off while Steve studies every needle of every tree at the tree farm until he finally decides on one at the farthest corner of the establishment and takes an hour to cut it down, and trying to "redecorate" the tree after Grace and Hannah hang every single ornament at their eye level right in front of them, leaving the rest of the tree bare. Who needs a whole tree anyway? How about that fake ficus in the corner? Or a dead leaf? A dead leaf would be good...

2 comments:

EE said...

LOL about Steve and the tree. We're getting ours tomorrow and I'm dreading it w/ Haley. I can just see it now, him carrying ornaments around all over the place and me finding them on the floor to constantly rehang.

And, I have to shake my head, Steve is such a girl ;) The whole talking on the phone thing cracks me up. (and I mean that in a very affectionate way bc Steve rocks)

mamatulip said...

I feel the same way about getting out our Christmas tree and decorating it and the house. I love having it all out but I can just see how it's all going to go down with Julia this year, especially the ornaments on the tree.