Monday, July 07, 2008

Holiday Weekend Recap (Because I Know You All Care)

FRIDAY, JULY 4th

That picnic I bitched about actually turned out to be not so bad. I decided to not give a rat’s ass (too much) about cleaning the house ahead of time, etc. and it was much healthier for me (LOL!). Everyone came… we ate… we drank… we laughed… the kids played… we set off a few lame fireworks (that the kids loved)… and we crashed. All good.

AND, I’m happy to report that the old guy I saw on the shitter didn’t show up, so there was no awkwardness there. Whew.

(This was the only day I took pictures this weekend, but I haven’t even downloaded them off my camera yet.)

SATURDAY, JULY 5th

We cleaned up from the night before (no easy task, my friends) and then lazed around for the most part. Around 5:00, my parents picked up the girls for the night, and Steve and I headed to my friend, Dan’s property for the annual 4th of July party. We weren’t even sure we wanted to go, but we’re so glad we did.

The singer we met at our local bar a few months ago (who we booked for the pig roast) was invited and came too and he could, possibly, be the funniest person on the planet. Up until that night, we weren’t sure if he was gay or not (and didn’t really care either way). But he was really open about it that night and I swear, there’s nothing funnier than a gay guy making jokes about gay guys. We laughed until we almost pissed ourselves, and in general, had a freakin’ blast.

SUNDAY, JULY 6th

We (once again) sort of just lazed around all day, doing productive things here and there, but not really. Around 5:00 again, my parents stopped to get the girls for the night so Steve and I could head out to the Black Crowes concert.

Oh my god, it was one of the best concerts I’ve ever seen! They jammed… and jammed… and jammed some more. Chris Robinson sounded AMAZING live and the crowd was going wild the entire time.

The opening band was called “Grace Potter and the Nocturnals” and the girl kicked total ass (as did her band). She’s kind of a bluesy/folksy type singer, which is my very favorite.

(Go to that link above to click on songs and hear them.  I LOVE her! I’m not sure about other readers, but I’m pretty sure Tink will dig her too if she gives her a listen. Once she gets partway into a song, she just lets it all hang out and goes nuts. It’s freakin’ awesome!)

I immediately bought one of her CDs and a T-shirt. Truthfully, I bought the shirt before I even heard her, just because it was too cool of a shirt not to own. A cool washed pink color, with a guitar on it and a racoon. Sounds lame as hell when I describe it, but once I post a picture of it, those of you (that are somewhat cool) will see what I mean.

After she played, she came out and was signing things, so I had her sign my shirt I bought. It wasn’t until I got home that I tried it on and realized that she signed it RIGHT over where my boob is. So now I’ve got “Grace Potter” written in sharpie over my left tit. Awesome. (I think that makes me cool, but I’m not sure.)

The Black Crowes played FOREVER (not complaining) and we got home really late. But it was so worth it. We had a blast!

MONDAY, JULY 7th

I woke up tired as hell and busted ass working (from home) all day, since I had, admittedly, goofed off quite a bit last week in terms of my work responsibilities. But I got a lot done, so I guess that’s good.

And now, I’m finally drinking a beer, catching up on emails, reading my usual blogs, and buying and downloading more of Grace Potter’s music. Life is good my friends.

I hope you all had great holiday weekends!

No comments: