So I had planned on coming here and copy/pasting a long ass email that I sent to my friends earlier today. It outlined the mini panic attacks I’m having today because of the HUGE list of things we need to do/clean/buy in the next 3 days before the pig roast. It ain’t pretty people. It really isn’t. Sigh.
But instead, we’re going to talk about something fun because
y’all don’t give a shit about my pig roast stress I’m a fun kind of person. I asked for some song suggestions on one of my daily message boards to make mix CDs for the pig roast. We hired a guy to sing (that we’ve become really good friends with), but he’s only singing for 3 hours or so and the pig roast is WAY longer than that. So I wanted to make some mixes with all sorts of music on them. Well, the suggestions started pouring in. And those suggestions made me think of other songs/artists. Oh my. I’m taking a HUGE trip down Memory Lane tonight.
Some of the songs I downloaded are downright ridiculous, some are cool, some are just plain fun, and some are hilarious. Tonight, I’m listening to them while I burn the CDs. I’ve got everything from:
- Skid Row (“18 and Life” and "I Remember You" bay-beeee!)
- My Humps by Black Eyed Peas (Because you can’t hear that song and NOT shake your ass obnoxiously)
- “Bye Bye Bye” by N’Sync (Because if I get Steve drunk enough, he might do the dance for us all.)
- Some Blues Traveler (Because they just kick serious ass.)
- “Oh Mickey” (Because I hate cheerleaders and that video always made me cringe, and I'm all about self-punishment.)
- “The Day the Music Died” (I’m imagining a big sing-along when that one plays.)
- “Little Red Corvette” (Because it’s the best Prince song ever recorded.)
- “Footloose” (Wouldn’t it be cool if the whole pig roast broke into a choreographed dance?)
- “Thank God I’m a Country Boy” (fitting for most of the guests)
- “Back in Black” by AC/DC and “Cum on Feel the Noise” by Quiet Riot (Oh, how I miss the mullets.)
- “Time Warp” from the Rocky Horror Picture Show
- A bunch by Lynard Skynard songs (Who the hell spelled their name anyway? It’s ridiculous.)
- Whitesnake (I’m totally going to throw myself on the hood of a car when that one plays and grind around like a whore.)
- “Right Now” by Van Halen (Because Sammy Hagar was WAY cooler than that first dude.)
- A few by Firehouse (Because I want everyone to just randomly start making out.)
- “Ice Ice Baby” by Vanilla Ice and “U Can’t Touch This” by MC Hammer (because I still remember EVERY step of the dances we made up for my senior year talent show, it’s how I got my nickname “Alli-Ho” at the time. And because, frankly, I’m 2 Legit 2 Quit)
- Counting Crows (Because the lead singer was/is HOT.)
- “Baby Got Back (I Like Big Butts)” by Sir Mix Alot (No explanation needed. And because I plan to play it over and over again until my kids learn every word. Because that would just be funny.)
And then a ton of um, “cooler” and more current ones… Green Day, Kid Rock, Taylor Swift, Sara Barellis (I can never spell her last name, so that’s probably wrong), Smash Mouth, Guns N Roses, Tom Petty, Bowling for Soup, The Black Crowes, Rob Thomas, Rage Against the Machine, Van Morrison, The Steve Miller Band, etc.
And I know half of you who haven’t thought of some of these songs in
decades years are clicking over right now to go download them. (Well, except maybe for Tink, because she’s too young to remember half of them… LOL!)
But PLEASE feel free to comment here and throw out your suggestions. I’ll take them all... 70’s, 80’s, 90’s, now, Motown, pop, rock, rap, dance, country, alternative, funny, cool, dorky, etc. I need more songs, people!! MORE!!! So help me out, OK?
And with that, I’m off to bed with a book and my newly loaded MP3 player. Later guys…
(PS: Thank you to the 70% of you that think I should have/can handle another kid. -- To the 7% of you that voted for a puppy… you obviously don’t know me well. I
greatly dislike don’t like dogs much. However, I don’t want to deprive my kids of a puppy at some point of their childhood, so I imagine that at some point it’ll happen. – To the 22% of you that think I shouldn’t do either for whatever reason… um, fuck you? Thank you? Hmmmm….)