Saturday, February 10, 2007

Oh my...

OK. So Steve found some boxes of old stuff in the garage loft that I've been instructed to go through and keep and toss as necessary. One of the things in there was a big case of old cassette tapes. 99.9% of them are mix tapes I made for myself, other people, etc. way back in the day. Remember how cool you thought you were when you made one? And how much time and effort you put into it? How'd you get one tape all set up at exactly the right spot? And then how impressed you were with your impeccable timing when you'd hit Play on one tape and Play & Record on the other tape at exactly the right moment? Or how you'd listen to the radio all day long, hoping to hear that one song you wanted to record and then praying you'd be able to lunge for your tape in time to hit Record? Ahhhh... those were the days.

So anyway, I found one in my old stash called "Senior Tape 1990-91". I made it my senior year of high school. Never one to NOT be overly queer, inside the case, I found a little typed song list with an explanation of why I chose each song for the tape. Some of the explanations are real doozies lemme tell ya...

"Right Here Waiting" (RICHARD MARX) - This song is off of his "Repeat Offender" album and one of my all-time favorite songs. It came out in the summer of 1989. (I'm cringing right now. LOL!)

"Wonderful Tonight" (ERIC CLAPTON) - Theme song from our homecoming dance in October 1990. (Um, wasn't that everyone's homecoming dance theme song that year? LOL!)

"You've Lost That Loving Feeling" (THE RIGHTEOUS BROTHERS) This is a popular song with almost everyone in school. It became popular when it was in the movie "Top Gun". When Jason and I danced to this song at the prom, and when the line, "Baby, Baby, I'd get down on my knees for you," came on, Jason got down on his knees and started singing to me. It was adorable and everyone loved it. (Um... GAG! Dear lord...)

There are more on that mix, but the rest are even more gay and I just can't humiliate myself anymore than I already have. So let's move on to some of the others...

Favorite title for one of the tapes: "Slow Songs So Sappy They Make You Want to Vomit." And god, was I ever right. Celine Dion, Whitney Houston, and Vince Gill are all on there. Oh my. LOL!

Title of a mix made for me by my boyfriend my senior year of college: "Allison Rocks the House (Yo!)" LOL! That one really is a good mix though and is dated July of 1994. The songs range from "No Sleep Till Brooklyn" by the Beastie Boys to "Bullet in the Head" by Rage Against the Machine to "Sober" by Tool to "Peace, Love & Understanding" by Elvis Costello. I am so totally playing that tape tomorrow. LOL!

What's funny is that as I'm playing them, I'm still remembering all of the lyrics, even after not having heard some of the songs in a good 10 years. Funny how that works. Especially when I can't remember my kids' names some days. ;)

I will say that these newly found mix tapes are giving me some great ideas for the next time I download a bunch of songs onto my MP3 player. LOL!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You were some awesome high schooler Allison...

I don't think I was ever in to tape making as much as you were...are you keeping all of those tapes for prosperatiy, or tossing them out?

mary

Amber said...

Funny! Gosh, I can't even think what would be on any mixed tape I would have had from back then!

I have so much fun killing time down-loading songs now. Isn't an Ipod realy like a little mised tape? LOL

:)

Tink said...

I LOVE digging through past junk. I have tapes I made with friends in 5th grade of homemade commercials and radio shows. We were such dorks. A small part of me hopes the tapes don't actually play anymore.